ORA-12505: TNS: listener does not currently know of SID
given in connect descriptor tips
Oracle Error Tips by Burleson Consulting
The Oracle oerr utility note this about ORA-12505:
- ORA-12505: TNS: listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor
Cause: The listener received a request to establish a connection to a
database or other service. The connect descriptor received by the listener
specified a SID for an instance (usually a database instance) that either has
not yet dynamically registered with the listener or has not been statically
configured for the listener. This may be a temporary condition such as after the
listener has started, but before the database instance has registered with the
- Wait a moment and try to connect a second time.
- Check which instances are currently known by the listener by executing: lsnrctl services <listener name>
- Check that the SID parameter in the connect descriptor specifies an instance known by the listener.
- Check for an event in the listener.log file.
A widely seen situation with ORA-12505 concerns "JDBC Thin Connection Confusion between Service and SID Results in ORA-12505" This issue is seen in version 11.5.10 on all platforms, and occurs when the JDBC thin connector tries to connect between the RAC with the Service name instead of SID.
The problem here is that the
string des not have the appropriate SID name, causing ORA-12505 to interfere.
Osama Mustafa offers this listener solution to resolve ORA-12505 with a JDBC
Because ORA-12505 is often an issue within the
listener.ora file, you might find
this link helpful.