||Oracle Database Tips by Donald Burleson
Oracle10g Grid Computing
Chapter 5 -
Preparing Shared Storage
The best news is that the KIO is available with
the ASM files automatically.
In the layout of database files, we often see
many hot spots where same disk or set of blocks are accessed more
often than others do. Often, it results in large queues and does not
take advantage of the concurrent disk IO/s.
Striping Oracle Database Files across multiple
physical disk spindles improves the concurrency of access to hot
spots, and generally improves the transfer rate for large reads and
writes, and spreads the I/O load evenly across the available disks.
Striping spreads the I/O load evenly across all the disks in the
stripe. This makes it possible for the full I/O bandwidth of the
storage hardware to be used to service any I/O workload. The trend
towards using fewer, larger capacity disks makes it increasingly
important to be able to use the full I/O bandwidth in this way.
When the striping is implemented at storage
array or hardware level, Oracle Database files inherently gets the
striping benefit. Striping can also be implemented using an
appropriate volume manager tool.
provides the facility of generic volume management type software for
striping at host level. This will avoid any use of expensive
The above text is
an excerpt from:
Oracle 10g Grid & Real Application
Computing with RAC
by Mike Ault, Madhu Tumma
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit www.dba-oracle.com or email