||Oracle Database Tips by Donald Burleson
Oracle10g Grid Computing
Chapter 5 -
Preparing Shared Storage
ASM Disk Groups
Let's explore these concepts in detail. Fig.
5.13 gives a glance of the components in ASM instance and relation
with database instance.
Figure 5.12 the Components of the ASM Instance
ASM Disk Groups
A disk group is basically one or more ASM disks
that are managed as a single logical unit. Any data-structure stored
in an ASM disk group is totally contained within that disk group, or
self-contained. A database using ASM disks doesn't have to be
shutdown in order for a disk to be added or dropped. ASM rebalances
the spread of data to ensure an even I/O load to all disks in a disk
group when the disk group configuration changes.
We mentioned that any single ASM file is
self-contained in a single ASM disk group. However, an ASM disk
group can contain files belonging to several databases, and a single
database can use storage from multiple ASM disk groups. You can
specify a disk group as the default disk group for files created in
a database by specifying the disk group in file destination
The above text is
an excerpt from:
Oracle 10g Grid & Real Application
Computing with RAC
by Mike Ault, Madhu Tumma
can offer world-class remote Oracle database support at super-affordable prices.
Oracle DBA service provides 100% of the remote Oracle database administration
needs for your company, and includes 24x7 access to our staff of 100% OCP
Certified Oracle DBAs.
We require a 12 month service commitment and include the following services:
- Initial configuration review and problem identification
- Installation of Oracle statistics collection mechanisms and quarterly
database growth summaries
- Hourly monitoring of your Oracle database for pending problems
- Periodic performance analysis & identification of tuning activities
- Twenty Four hour Oracle emergency support
- Reporting and resolving all serious Oracle alert log messages
- Free use of the BC
- Quick response emergency support for production database outages
- Four hours of free remote DBA support every month. You can use these free
hours for any DBA activity, including database analysis, system design,
production migrations or personal mentoring.
information, please visit www.dba-oracle.com or email