Question: I am working on a medical clinic
database and I am told that I need more than male and female
genders, to cover patients who are neither men nor women. I
have never heard of such a thing. What are the accepted sex
genders for computer databases?
Answer: Yes, you're
correct, many Oracle databases allow for more than just male and
female genders for computer database gender codes. It used to
be that gender was either male or female, but that’s not politically
Some States have adopted a multi gender code
- Male becoming female
- Eunuch, a castrated male.
Health Organization (WHO) has adopted more genders, with computer
codes for Oracle medical databases that cover every possibility.
Here is the list of genders used by the WHO:
- Unknown: No physical exam.
- Indeterminate: Physical exam taken, but
- Male once Female: Male gender
- Female once male: Female gender
- Male been both: Gender re-assignment
- Female been both: Gender re-assignment twice.
- Hermaphrodite: Gender neutral, with some
male and some female physical genital attributes.
Male becoming female becoming male
Get the Complete
Oracle SQL Tuning Information
The landmark book
SQL Tuning The Definitive Reference" is
filled with valuable information on Oracle SQL Tuning.
This book includes scripts and tools to hypercharge Oracle 11g
performance and you can
for 30% off directly from the publisher.