Oracle Training Oracle Support Development Oracle Apps

 
 Home
 E-mail Us
 Oracle Articles
New Oracle Articles


 Oracle Training
 Oracle Tips

 Oracle Forum
 Class Catalog


 Remote DBA
 Oracle Tuning
 Emergency 911
 RAC Support
 Apps Support
 Analysis
 Design
 Implementation
 Oracle Support


 SQL Tuning
 Security

 Oracle UNIX
 Oracle Linux
 Monitoring
 Remote s
upport
 Remote plans
 Remote
services
 Application Server

 Applications
 Oracle Forms
 Oracle Portal
 App Upgrades
 SQL Server
 Oracle Concepts
 Software Support

 Remote S
upport  
 Development  

 Implementation


 Consulting Staff
 Consulting Prices
 Help Wanted!

 


 Oracle Posters
 Oracle Books

 Oracle Scripts
 Ion
 Excel-DB  

Don Burleson Blog 


 

 

 


 

 

   

Linda Webb

Got breaking Oracle news?    Burleson Consulting Oracle News

Click here for more Oracle News Headlines

 


Expert speaks on Oracle 10g OLAP and Hyperion

By Michael Armstrong-Smith

 

 In my opinion the best OLAP tool around is the one built by Hyperion.  Here is a link to their products http://www.hyperion.com/products/bpm_suite/  I have used a standard Oracle data warehouse, built using OWB, as a source to a Hyperion solution.  However, I did not build the Hyperion piece. I only made the data available from my data warehouse for them to create OLAP cubes of the essential data.  Hyperion does allow drills back into a relational environment where Discoverer could be used to produce the raw results.

 

This is what we did at a recent client.  Discoverer handled 75% of the reporting and Hyperion the remaining 25% which was used by executives and senior management.  Note: Hyperion does not use an Oracle database.  It uses its own database called Essbase.  This database is a really clever OLAP-only database and employs algorithms that Oracle only dream about. 

 

For instance, they have a smart algorithm that only populates cube cells that actually have values, the rest are not only unpopulated but don't even exist.  Oracle cubes do not do this; they expand all values in all dimensions, leaving around 75% of cells NULL. 

 

Hyperion is not cheap but it is used by most of the Fortune 500 companies.

 

References:

 

Rittman on OLAP 10g:  http://www.rittman.net/stories/2003/09/16/oracle10gOlapNewFeatures.html

 

Oracle OLAP features:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/bi/olap/olap.html

 

Here is the Oracle Forum for OLAP -

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jsp?forum=16

 

Details on Discoverer cube creation:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/warehouse/selfserv_edu/OLAP_cube_creation.html
 

 

 
��  
 
 
Oracle Training at Sea
 
 
 
 
oracle dba poster
 

 
Follow us on Twitter 
 
Oracle performance tuning software 
 
Oracle Linux poster
 
 
 

 

Burleson is the American Team

Note: This Oracle documentation was created as a support and Oracle training reference for use by our DBA performance tuning consulting professionals.  Feel free to ask questions on our Oracle forum.

Verify experience! Anyone considering using the services of an Oracle support expert should independently investigate their credentials and experience, and not rely on advertisements and self-proclaimed expertise. All legitimate Oracle experts publish their Oracle qualifications.

Errata?  Oracle technology is changing and we strive to update our BC Oracle support information.  If you find an error or have a suggestion for improving our content, we would appreciate your feedback.  Just  e-mail:  

and include the URL for the page.


                    









Burleson Consulting

The Oracle of Database Support

Oracle Performance Tuning

Remote DBA Services


 

Copyright © 1996 -  2017

All rights reserved by Burleson

Oracle ® is the registered trademark of Oracle Corporation.

Remote Emergency Support provided by Conversational